You speak my language. Do I?



All around the world, everywhere I go
No one understands me
No one knows what I'm trying to say

Everywhere I go no one understands me
They look at me when I talk to them
And they scratch their head
They go, "What's he trying to say?"

But you… you speak my language
But you… you speak my language
Yeah! Yes!

All around the world, everywhere I go
No one understands me
No one knows what I'm trying to say

Even in my home town
My friends make me write it down
They look at me when I talk to them
And they shrug their shoulders
They go, "What's he talking about?

But you… you speak my language... .

- lyrics from You Speak My Language by Morphine

At Thesaurus.com, a simple search for synonyms of the words 'liberal' and 'conservative' yields results that are telling, though not surprising. Of course, Thesaurus.com is not alone in its sin-onymic contortions. Other sites parrot the same newspeak.

Under liberal, do note the synonym in position four in column two. No wonder so many Catholics behave as they do, and so many others are just as misinformed and misbehaving.


Screenshot Thesaurus.com

CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE


Screenshot Thesaurus.com

Those who play fast and loose with language, redefining it in their own brownshirted image, must not be accorded any authority if civility is to be preserved and barbarism avoided. Attempts to gag civilized people and bind people of goodwill to bizarre fantasies and dangerous illusions must be met with firm, well-reasoned opposition and perhaps more than a little derision aimed at stupid ideas or stupid ways of doings things to shake the rust from people's brains.

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject. It depends on the habit of attending to and looking into public transactions, and on the degree of information and solid judgment respecting them that exists in the community, whether the conduct of the nation as a nation, both within itself and towards others, shall be selfish, corrupt, and tyrannical, or rational and enlightened, just and noble. - Inaugural Address delivered to the University of St. Andrews, February 1, 1867 by the Rector of the University John Stuart Mill

There are things that must be challenged and rejected, and there are things - truth, justice, reason, civility - worth preserving, i.e., conserving.

conservative (adj.)

late 14c., conservatyf, "tending to preserve or protect, preservative, having the power to keep whole or safe," from Old French conservatif, from Medieval Latin conservativus, from Latin conservatus, past participle of conservare "to keep, preserve, keep intact, guard," from assimilated form of com-, here probably an intensive prefix, + servare "keep watch, maintain" (from PIE root ser - "to protect"). - Online Etymological Dictionary

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life At The Altar Rail: 22 Behaviours Categorized

You Know You're In A Progressive Catholic Parish When... .

You know you're a REAL altar server when... .

Clash of the Titans: Strickland v. Martin

The opinions expressed herein are largely those of the blog author. Every effort is made to conform to Church teaching. Comments are welcome.