Homecoming Story: Andrew Petiprin and Family

From Catholic World Report

Welcome Petiprin family!


Nashville, Tenn., Jan 3, 2019 / 10:00 am (CNA).- An Episcopalian priest set out to write a book on finding and understanding the Gospel’s truth. Now, after he and his family have converted to Catholicism, he says they have found it.

Andrew Petiprin, his wife Amber, and their two children Alex and Aimee were confirmed into the Catholic Church on Jan. 1, at St. Patrick’s Parish in Nashville, the city where they have lived for the last 18 months.

“I am grateful for 16 formative years as an Anglican, and 8 as an Episcopal priest, most recently as Canon to the Ordinary in the Diocese of Tennessee. But I am thrilled that the Lord has called me, my wife, and our children into full communion with Rome,” said Petiprin on Twitter.

Petiprin told CNA that his conversion was heavily influenced by questions raised in the process of writing his book “Truth Matters: Knowing God and Yourself,” which was released last April.

“Even though I was writing about doctrines that applied to different Christians in different traditions, finishing the book was a real emphasis to examine the questions again about whether I should be Catholic.”

The book discussed foundational elements of Christian doctrine: the Trinity, Christology, the Holy Spirit, atonement and salvation. Petiprin said that after the book’s completion, a major question arose – where does the authority come from to verify the truth of these subjects?

“It really forced me back into questions I had been asking myself for a long time, namely, where is truth ultimately to be found?” he said.

“For me, it came back to the papacy, it came back to the Church…The Roman Catholic Church is [the] primitive Church that the doctrine has developed faithfully within over these centuries.”

[...]

Petiprin said he is “overwhelmed with the welcome I am receiving from Catholics. Their faith is real, and they can’t help but pour out enthusiasm for people like me who have been called to share it with them. I hope in time that I can share that same level of welcome with others coming into the faith.”

[...]

“I am open to discernment about eventual formation for the Catholic priesthood, but I am eager now to find good employment and live the Catholic faith with my family as a layman.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life At The Altar Rail: 22 Behaviours Categorized

You Know You're In A Progressive Catholic Parish When... .

You know you're a REAL altar server when... .

Clash of the Titans: Strickland v. Martin

The opinions expressed herein are largely those of the blog author. Every effort is made to conform to Church teaching. Comments are welcome.