Viganò Veracity



Archbishop Viganò has responded to Cardinal Ouellet's criticism.


Why share/publish Archbishop Viganò's comments? Is it to merely to foment opposition to a papacy which has been milquetoast at best? No. Partisanship has no place in the Church. The truth is easy to remember; lies require rehearsal and always sound rehearsed. Complications regarding the communication of the truth tend to arise among those:

  1. who, having misbehaved and remain unrepentant, have everything to lose.
  2. whose memories are clouded by false allegiances.

The purpose of adding the letter to this site is because that which it contains rings true. This blog heralds the true, the good and the beautiful. Archbishop Viganò's letter is forthright, uncomplicated and to the point, which is the salvation of souls. A good pastor concerns himself with the needs of the sheep before putting his own agenda or reputation above the salvation of souls.

Archbishop Viganò's letter begins:


On the Feast of the North American Martyrs


To bear witness to corruption in the hierarchy of the Catholic Church was a painful decision for me, and remains so. But I am an old man, one who knows he must soon give an accounting to the Judge for his actions and omissions, one who fears Him who can cast body and soul into hell. A Judge who, even in his infinite mercy, will render to every person salvation or damnation according to what he has deserved. Anticipating the dreadful question from that Judge -- "How could you, who had knowledge of the truth, keep silent in the midst of falsehood and depravity?"--what answer could I give?

I testified fully aware that my testimony would bring alarm and dismay to many eminent persons: churchmen, fellow bishops, colleagues with whom I had worked and prayed. I knew many would feel wounded and betrayed. I expected that some would in their turn assail me and my motives. Most painful of all, I knew that many of the innocent faithful would be confused and disconcerted by the spectacle of a bishop's charging colleagues and superiors with malfeasance, sexual sin, and grave neglect of duty. Yet I believe that my continued silence would put many souls at risk, and would certainly damn my own. Having reported multiple times to my superiors, and even to the pope, the aberrant behavior of Theodore McCarrick, I could have publicly denounced the truths of which I was aware earlier. If I have some responsibility in this delay, I repent for that. This delay was due to the gravity of the decision I was going to take, and to the long travail of my conscience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life At The Altar Rail: 22 Behaviours Categorized

You Know You're In A Progressive Catholic Parish When... .

You know you're a REAL altar server when... .

Clash of the Titans: Strickland v. Martin

The opinions expressed herein are largely those of the blog author. Every effort is made to conform to Church teaching. Comments are welcome.